38 Week Update

Things got crazy-busy yesterday, between attending the lottery meeting for the magnet school I’m trying to get Em into (all luck of the draw, unfortunately), my OB appointment, meeting with my boss to go over ALL my job duties folks will have to cover while I’m on maternity leave, lunch with my mom and Em and then catching up on work I missed in the morning. Add to that dinner and normal life stuff after work, I was kinda tired.

So yesterday’s post is going up today. :) But it actually starts on Saturday.


BUT FIRST!!!                                         See that?!? ————>
Have you entered your guess yet?
Do it! Do it NOW!


Saturday I spent about 7 hours at Disneyland with Brad, Em, Dad, my godparents, their youngest son, his wife and their two little boys. I only went on 3 pregnancy-OK rides and made sure to sit whenever we weren’t walking to our next destination. I drank lots of water (as per my usual) and felt pretty good. Right as Brad, Em and I finished dinner I started feeling some mild contractions. VERY mild contractions. They started out at the top of my stomach, tingling like your foot does after it’s fallen asleep. Then my stomach would tighten and the tightness would move down to where I normally feel menstrual cramps. None of it was painful, but they were quite frequent. I decided to keep an eye on them while we finished up our evening. An hour-and-a-half later they hadn’t stopped but they hadn’t increased in frequency or intensity. I texted Mom and Brad, Em and I headed home.

Once home I drank more water and sat in my recliner with my feet up. Mom gave me the phone number of a church member who’s an OB nurse and suggested I check with her to see if she thought I needed to go to the hospital or not; being not quite 38 weeks, not feeling any pain, and having only been 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced just 3 days before, I was hesitant to go to the hospital just yet. After about 4 hours of contractions, Mom and I decided to head over to the hospital (a whopping 3 blocks from my house; I could have walked there faster than it took Mom to get to my house from hers). Brad stayed at my place since Em was asleep and I promised to keep him updated.

Turns out my contractions were just my body’s way of saying ENOUGH, I’m tired!! Being on my feet that long at Disneyland had caused the contractions, but hadn’t started labor. I was sent home and told that the contractions would likely stop by morning.

I woke Sunday morning feeling fine but tired after having been up until 3:00 AM. I slept through church but had a good day after I caught up on my missed sleep. My feet swelled up Sunday night so much that I couldn’t get my shoes on, but I attribute that to the salty snacks I had at the Super Bowl party we went to that afternoon. My feet returned to normal size by Monday morning. Late Sunday night I had some (Ok, a LOT) of my lovely swelling that I get when pregnant, so I took Monday off from work as the only comfortable position I could find was on my side with my hips elevated on pillows. The swelling went down just in time for me to tidy up my house to welcome the boys who’d arrived from London Monday afternoon!

My OB appointment on Wednesday was a party! Mom and the boys joined me for my check-up; I figured the more eyes and ears the better. That thinking paid off as Mom asked a question of the doctor which then got the boys thinking about other things they needed clarification on. Yay, Mom! The boys got to hear and feel Miss Swann’s heartbeat (they put their hands over the speaker on the Doppler), too!

“Stats” from yesterday’s appointment:

Station: -3
Dilation: 1cm
Effacement: 50%


Yup, no change since last week, even with my little contractions on Saturday. The doctor thinks Miss Swann will be a little less than 8 pounds at birth (Em was 8lbs 8oz, so a little smaller is ok with me) and while they won’t stop my labor if it starts before 40 weeks, they’re hoping she does go that long because that means she’s as “baked” as possible. Mom, of course, is hoping for a little earlier than 40 because she’ll be with my sister 3 days before I’m due. (Hey, sis: next time I get pregnant, don’t copy me, k? 😉 )

I gained 4 pounds this week, only 1 of which could/should be attributed to Miss Swann. I know weight fluctuates, as my chart shows, but last night I think I found the cause: edema. I lost my ankles yesterday! I’m actually surprised it took this long to happen, though I’m not happy that it did. I’ll be increasing my water intake (hard to do with how much I drink already), watch my snacks and get up to move around more often, though lately that means I’ll be moving in the direction of the ladies room; every time I stand, Miss Swann squishes my bladder and my first stop – no matter WHAT my original intention was – is the bathroom. I’ve got my feet elevated on a stool at my cubicle at work, so that’s pretty much the best I can do.


On the one hand, I can’t believe it’s been 38 weeks already. On the other hand, the boys and I have been on this journey together since October 2011 when we each said YES!! to the agency after our first Skype meeting. Tempus fugit.

One thought on “38 Week Update

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

Subscribe to comments. You can also subscribe without commenting.